wasterecycling.jpg
 
 

recycling / WASTE

Here at the Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station, we are committed to reducing the amount of waste going to landfill. This means that we make a dedicated effort to reprocess and recycle the appropriate recoverable materials that you bring to our site.

By partnering with recyclers within Tasmania and around Australia, these recyclable materials are able to be reprocessed into new products.

The glass collected here at MPWTS is sent to the Hazell Brothers’ Glass Processing Facility at Leslie Vale. 80% of the glass is used in the manufacturing of bricks and pavers, with the remaining 20% used as a sand substitute in the construction industry. 

The batteries we collect are reprocessed right here in Australia, where the lead is reused to make more batteries.

Steel collected on site is baled here in Tasmania and then sent to mainland processors to be shredded and mixed with new feedstock in an Electric Arc Furnace to make more steel products. 

We send a range of different plastics collected here at MPWTS to be recycled. Plastic bottles are sent to SKM Recycling Materials Recovery Facility in Lutana. SKM sell then process, bale and sell this material internationally to be reprocessed into resins that are used to make new products. We also collect a range of industrial plastics on site – including marine buoys, car bumper bars, PVC, poly propylene pipe and pallets – which are shredded and then sent to be recycled where it can be made into new products such as outdoor furniture, fencing, bollards and decking. 

We also accept hydro-excavation slurry – the first and only facility of its kind in Tasmania – which allows us to aid businesses within the civil and construction industry to dispose of their hydro-excavation slurry in a sustainable and ethical manner. Through a series of processes, we are able to recycle this material into compost and loam on site. 

Also among this list of recycled materials are the following:  

• Plasterboard: recycled into compost and loam;

• Timber: shredded and used as a fuel source or sold for building projects;

• Concrete, Brick & Rubble: crushed and reused in construction and civil works;

• Clean fill: screened and reused as a landscaping material;

• Oil: recycled as a fuel source;

• Cardboard & Paper: baled and sold domestically and internationally to be recycled into new products;

• Paint: checked, sorted, repackaged and sold; and

• LPG Gas Cylinders: the remaining gas is purged and collected, and the bottles are recycled.

We also accept a range of other items and materials that are sorted, cleaned, tested and checked for safety compliance before being presented for sale at the Second Chance Reuse Shop and Building Yard, which are located here at the Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station.

In bringing your materials to us – and purchasing items from the Second Chance Reuse Shop and Building Yard – you are helping to reduce the amount of waste destined for landfill.


Recyclable / Recoverable Materials Accepted

Batteries  lead acid only

Batteries lead acid only

Clean Fill & soil

Clean Fill & soil

CONCRETE, BRICKS, RUBBLE & ROCKS

CONCRETE, BRICKS, RUBBLE & ROCKS

drumMUSTER containers

drumMUSTER containers

electrical items  e.g. radio etc

electrical items e.g. radio etc

E-Waste

E-Waste

Engine Oils only

Engine Oils only

gas bottles

gas bottles

Green waste  e.g. as lawn, tree and plant clippings, (clean – free of rubbish)

Green waste e.g. as lawn, tree and plant clippings, (clean – free of rubbish)

Mattresses

Mattresses

Metals  ferrous and non-ferrous

Metals ferrous and non-ferrous

Tyres

Tyres

paint

paint

Timber waste

Timber waste

Plaster

Plaster

whitegoods

whitegoods

Plumbing items

Plumbing items

Recyclables  including aluminium & steel cans, cardboard, paper, plastics and glass

Recyclables including aluminium & steel cans, cardboard, paper, plastics and glass


waste types accepted

general waste - household waste

general waste - household waste

demolition waste

demolition waste

 

Waste Types Excluded

Asbestos

Asbestos

Medical waste

Medical waste

Controlled waste  e.g. contaminated soil

Controlled waste e.g. contaminated soil

Fuels  e.g. petrol, diesel

Fuels e.g. petrol, diesel

Household or farm chemicals

Household or farm chemicals

Liquid waste   e.g. septic sludge

Liquid waste
e.g. septic sludge

 

DISPOSAL FEE PRICING

 
Weighbridge Prices - 2018.PNG